Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Staups Moor

I stopped the car on the way back from school run this morning, on a road I think is called Eastwood Road, linking the top of Cross Stone Road and Kebs. So effectively looking out across the upper end of Staups Moor.

In just 5 minutes, I counted

- 3 displaying snipe, right above my head
- 32 meadow pipits
- 13 singing skylarks
- 16 red grouse (including some impressive looking males with very red eyebrows)
- 14 curlew
- 1 golden plover
- 21 lapwing, mostly paired up and displaying

And then I just stopped counting, and enjoyed the sounds and sights. I was never more than 2 feet from the side of my car. I can highly recommend this spot to anyone wanting a quick fix of easy, satisfying birding.

And what cracking habitat. We must continue to guard this and similar habitats against drainage, development and well meaning but entirely misplaced tree planting programmes.

 
 

8 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

A special spot Matt, well said on protecting the habitat.

Jan Langowski said...

I go up to Bridestones quite often and I love it or I walk up Staups Moor from Hippins Bridge and there is always something to see - last year the highlight was several Short-eared Owls - it is a very special place.

ChrisJB said...

As soon as I started reading your post Matt, I knew exactly the tract of moor you meant. Even when there's not much about, it always looks like there should be!

Chris

Jeff Cox said...

Too right Matt. It's a grand place to spend a day walking on the tops with birds all over the place at this time of year.

Matt Bell said...

I think a longer visit could easily add on short eared owl (as Jan says), merlin, whinchat, wheatear, ring ouzel and maybe redshank and dunlin.

Steve Blacksmith said...

Well said Matt. I know the place well. Another special spot is round the corner at Great Rock; there are magnifiscent views over the Calder Valley when its clear.

Jan Langowski said...

I was up there this morning and spotted a Reed Bunting close to the road and nearly trod on a wader on the moor which I think was a Redshank - is that possible?

Matt Bell said...

Jan - yes, that's entirely possible. They probably breed up there. And I thought I saw a reed bunting when I was there, but it was too brief, but the habitat is right.