Thursday, April 10, 2014

Upland area..

I decided to take a walk up to an Upland area this morning to see what was about. I arrived quite late in the morning but the first thing I spotted was a large falcon, which was difficult to identify because of the sun, but was a peregrine.
-Peregrine
I also spotted quite a few kestrels along the road, one of which was much smaller. Again, it was difficult to judge because of the sun, but I thought it was a Merlin. I took some photos to check when I got back and it seems pretty good to me, the photo below clearly showing a lack of black bar on the end of the tail. Its only the second time I have ever seen one, so i'm not familiar enough to confidently identify one in the field.
-Merlin
Other notable birds included; Wheatear on the walls, a pair of redshank, 2 Sand Martins, a Swallow and my first Red-Legged Partridge and Stonechat of the year.

Species Lists: 
Upalnd area: Starling, Carrion Crow, Mallard, Kestrel, Pied Wagtail, Jackdaw, Meadow Pipit, Red Grouse, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Skylark, Wheatear, Sand Martin, Swallow, Red-Legged Partridge, Peregrine, Merlin, Canada Goose, Lapwing, Stonechat, Graylag Goose,

Ogden/Golf Course: Sparrowhawk, Curlew, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Reed Bunting, Red Grouse, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Mallard, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Canada Goose,

Soil Hill: Wheatear, Lapwing, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Mallard,

1 comment:

AndyC said...

With the recent shootings at raptors in our area please don't give details of locations of raptors...Great sightings...and photos ...