Friday, April 18, 2014

Langfield this morning

A wonderful morning for a wander up to Langfield and Gaddings with Wheatear and Grasshopper Warbler as target birds. Only 10 minutes in and a Grasshopper Warbler was heard reeling in the juncus at Horse Wood just below Langfield. Hung around for a while to see if I could catch sight of it but didn't, so onwards and upwards to Langfield and Gaddings.

3 Linnet and a Reed Bunting along with numerous Meadow Pipits kept me company up to Gaddings where Skylarks were singing as usual. During the morning I counted at least 10 singing Skylarks on the tops. There were no birds at Gaddings itself apart from a single Red Grouse - not even a Mallard or Canada Goose there. However, the lovely views from Gaddings have been ruined for me by these articles on the skyline.

If the application for 4 more of these things at Gorpley is passed then there will be 9 turbines on the same hill marring the views. Only my opinion folks, others are available.

A single Lapwing was displaying and calling above the fields opposite Longfield Dam. I spent the rest of the morning enjoying the hills in search of Wheatear but none were found. The good thing is there's always tomorrow and it's set to be another cracking day so get out there and enjoy the lovely Spring weather. I will be!

No comments: