Thursday, April 05, 2012

Possible Common Rosefinch

Received via the Blog address from a visiting birder from Suffolk

Hi
> My wife and I spent a few days at Hebden Bridge recently, and on Monday
> Apr 2nd we walked up to Stoodley Pike in the morning. As we approached
> the monument on the section of the Pennine Way, after it had crossed the
> Pennine Bridleway, we saw a pair of Linnet-sized birds at a range of 25
> - 30 feet. One was a drab greyish brown but the other had a striking
> plumage, notably a very red head, throat and upper breast and a
> similarly red rump. Unfortunately I did not have my binoculars with me
> and was unable to get any more detail. It was a species unknown to me
> and on checking with "Collins Bird Guide" the species that had all the
> features that we saw is Common Rosefinch. The two birds seemed to be
> together so we considered they were a "pair". I would be interested to
> know if there have been any other reports of this or other unusual
> species in the area. I am a reasonably competent birder and know this
> was something out of the ordinary.

9 comments:

Nick Carter said...

No reports that I know of.

Jim Welford said...

Too early for Rosefinch to be considered surely?

Should be some Lesser Redpoll up at Sunderland pasture?

Steve Blacksmith said...

I've seen Lesser Redpoll in Sunderland pasture in July once, so presumably they breed in the area. But thanks for flagging it up, Nick.

Jeff Cox said...

I live just below Stoodley Pike and have Lesser Redpoll in the garden all through the year. The area mentioned is Doe Stones which is approx. a mile away from our house and I walk there at least once a week but haven't seen Lesser Redpoll there yet. Given they are about, it's highly possible the birds seen could have been LR though. Linnet are also around at the moment.

Andrew Huyton said...

Whilst certainly not common this early birds have been reported and photographed this early and earlier, in South Yorkshire and Lancs. I think Redpoll is a very unlikely confusion species though a male linnet in breeding plummage could be especially given the lack of bins. The habitat is also not right for Common Rosefinch though again tired migrating birds can drop in anywhere. I guess in truth we will never know, unless it drops into Jeffs garden.

Nick Carter said...

Away from proper computer at present so can't check blog e mail address for any follow up comments from the observer, can someone else checK?

Jeff Cox said...

Nick - Have checked blog email account and there is a comment from Phil OK'ing your initial reply.

Nick Carter said...

Thanks Jeff.

David Sutcliffe said...

This is a regular spot for Lesser Redpoll so I would probabaly think that's what they were!