Saturday, September 24, 2022

Soil Hill

Absolutely fantastic morning on Soil Hill, with good VizMig again, plus a few nice surprises.

  • At 09:09 a flock of five waders flew west reasonably high but directly above me on the North Slope. They did not call at all. Photos revealed they were two BAR-TAILED GODWIT and three GREY PLOVER, although I couldn't see the distinctive 'black armpits' on the plovers when I first checked. These are both patch ticks for me! Absolutely brilliant stuff!

  • Four Golden Plover flew south before u-turning over the Hill and heading back north.

  • A walk around the wetter areas produced five Common Snipe. Four more flew north distantly and at the end of my watch, another five dropped in.

  • There were still at least three Teal on the NK Pond.

  • A Great-spotted Woodpecker flew east

  • Once again VizMig was good this morning. Between 07:00 - 08:00 I counted birds heading south whilst I checked the bushes, before between 08:00 - 09:30 I put my focus entriely into the VizMig; 
    • 344 Meadow Pipit went south, with many flying straight over the North Slope, but also many cutting down the Ogden valley.
    • 2 Lesser Redpoll flew south calling
    • Additionally all south; 1 Skylark, 2 Grey Wagtail, 4 Pied Wagtail, 3 Chaffinch, 1 Linnet, 11 Goldfinch & 1 Reed Bunting

In total managed 46 species this morning, the full list here; https://ebird.org/checklist/S119313439

-Bar-tailed Godwit & Grey Plover
-Golden Plover

2 comments:

Peter Smith said...

Great stuff Daniel.

David Sutcliffe said...

That 'hill' never fails to amaze me ! Nice black armpit Daniel, always helpful.