Meadow Pipit carrying food
And here are photos that have had me puzzled, not least because they are not very good. They show a compact brown bird with a large black eye in a plain face. An eye ring is visible in the first photo. The back is streaked dark brown: tertials have broad pale fringes and almost reach the wing tip. The tail is dark brown centrally with yellow-brown sides, (and no white), and rounded corners. Underparts are plain, with some faint streaking of the breast sides. The bill is pinkish brown, and the legs and feet are light pink.



My id is Grasshopper Warbler. I have only had one previous good look at a 'Gropper', and the feature that stood out for me then was the pinkness of the legs: I think this clinches the id here. It could be a juvenile because books say these are warmer brown than adults, and because of the way it stood out in the open.
(Earlier, I was walking NE along the track beside the reservoir when I flushed a bird at the side of the track just a few feet away: it was small and brown and I got nothing on it, and after about 25 yards it dropped into the long grass. Later, when I was returning, the same thing happened again. I had no idea what this bird was, but with hindsight it is interesting that Hume et al in 'Europe's Birds' say that Grasshopper Warbler "may flush at close range".)
PS (12 August): This bird is actually a young MEADOW PIPIT! See Mick Cunningham's erudite analysis in 'COMMENTS'.
4 comments:
Hi Pete
I think your mystery bird is a fledged meadow pipit. Except for pechora, pipits famously don't show a primary projection beyond the tertials. This applies to your bird. Groppers have primary projection. Chicks prioritise wing growth so o would expect to see a PP. I also think the tertial shape is pipit. Tail shape: conversely many passerine chicks stage tall feather growth. Starting central and working outwards. Outers grow last. Tip shape is bevelled at first. Juv mipits don't have the obvious flank stripes at first creating a tree pipit- like gorget temporarily. For me, the face pattern in the last shot is mipit. Cheers mick
Thanks very much Mick for such a detailed comment. Of course you are right: the tertials clinch it. Just as well I hadn't got round to ticking my patch list, although ironically the bird I flushed twice probably WAS a gropper: MH and AC did see one earlier that day. From photos I've seen, the perched posture does not (with hindsight) seem right, and the whole tail should have been rounded. I did think all mipits had white tail sides, but you explain their absence in this young bird. As for my great feature of the pink legs (I think of mipit's ones being more orangey), Kightley et al (1997, Birds of Britain and NE Europe) say "The pink legs are very bright in juveniles"!
(To clarify, KIghtley is describing juvenile Meadow Pipits.)
No worries Pete. I'm living in otley now. Can't believe the massive crash in populations of so many birds to here. So you help me to vicariously bird. Am doing some vol surveys on place a landowner wants to restore for nature. Fingers crossed but a long slog
Post a Comment