Collared Doves, with one preening the other. This species is not as common as it used to be

These birds are clearly a pair. Collins Bird Guide (Svensson et al, 3rd edition) describe Collared Doves as "rather uniformly pale buff-grey with somewhat browner tone on back . . .", but then say "male on average purer pink with faint bluish sheen on head, neck and breast than female, which is more buffish-grey." Personally I cannot see any pink on these birds, but I can see a slight colour difference. I see the grey of the crown and body of right bird (the female?) with a hint of buff, that is not present in the (presumed) male. And I would simply describe the crown and underparts of the male as pure grey.
2 comments:
I always thought neck collars differed between the sexes pete. The males being more crisply patterned so more contrast between black and white ... and maybe more bars, though I might be misremembering that last bit (or indeed all of it ðŸ¤.. cheers
Thanks Mick, that's interesting. Only about 1 cm of the male's collar is visible, and this does look thicker than the same bit of the female's collar. And there isn't much white in the parts of the female's collar seen in the photos. I'll post another couple of shots that show more of the collars.
Post a Comment