Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Blackstone Edge

Whimbrel. This bird showed how whimbrels are tamer than curlews: a dog (with walker following) approached to about 25 yards before the bird flew off.

I know my photos are not very good: just record shots. But I'm trying to contribute to local bird recording without using a car, and with equipment that in total cost less than 1K: Kite Lynx HD+ 10x30 bins and Lumix FZ82D (the D is vital) 60x zoom bridge camera. My usual Blackstone Edge/Whiteholme walk is over 4 miles, and aged 81 I could not do this with two heavy weights around my neck.



4 comments:

Brian Sumner said...

You do a great job Pete getting out there, getting the birds with record shots and most of all keeping the Calderbirds blog alive. Keep up the good work. BS

Peter Smith said...

Thank you Brian, you're very kind

Nick Carter said...

As an ex Calderdale birder I regularly check the blog and always enjoy your posts Pete, it's a pleasure to see you still out and about and actively contributing, as you have done for many, many years, please keep going!

Peter Smith said...

Thanks very much Nick