Saturday, October 06, 2018

Ogden and Withens Head

Ogden - Back Lane. A hunch paid off as Crossbills have been seen recently at Walshaw and several others reported on vis-mig over Oxenhope. I was lucky, c20 flew over my head calling loudly from the reservoir plantation and landing in the tops of spruce trees, where there is a half-decent crop of cones. They stayed in view briefly before they disappeared deeper in the plantation, with several heading back towards the reservoir. I stayed for an hour but did not relocate them though I guess they will stay about for a short while. (?)
2 Redwings also flew over >SW.
12 Stock Doves
Plenty Kestrels in evidence as well but not a lot else other than a Common Buzzard over >E and a few 'mipits'.

Fly Flatts and Withens Head.
I gave up on Fly Flatts as the sun was so bright reflecting on the water. BS was there doing his rounds on the far side and did well with 2 Wheatears, 4 Stonechats and 3 Ringed Plover.

I managed a single Wheatear in a freshly manured field by the former Withens Pub so that rounded the afternoon off nicely.

3 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Great news with Crossbill at Ogden Dave.
A bird that has eluded me.
Might get over tomorrow to try as find one!
Presumably Back Lane is the place for me to look?
Well done.
John

David Sutcliffe said...

I think that's the best bet John. Listen for their calls if you get any flyovers as that's a good pointer in flight. Sorry don't ask me to describe it.....(oh go on then !! - Short, punchy and quite distinct 'KIP' - that's the best I can do but once known it's a good give-away !

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Cheers Dave.
John