Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lower Gorple Res this morning

I walked up to Lower Gorple Res this morning in bright sunshine and clear blue skies, so it was a pity about the biting stiff breeze that lowered the temperature so much! I was going in the hope that the Water Pipit was still about as it was last seen Monday afternoon. Approaching the reservoir I could see people working on the path from the small car park and also a couple of diggers by the dam wall so I was expecting the worst as the Pipit had been reported as flighty. Luckily the machinery by the wall wasn't in use so I settled myself in the lee of the parapet looking down the narrow drain to keep out of the wind, with a couple of Pied Wagtails for company.

After a while I heard a call behind me in the wide run-off drain, so I had a look and the Water Pipit was in the drain. I have to say that without seeing the photos previously posted on here and without hearing the call I wouldn't have picked it as a Water Pipit as it looked very pale. It flew onto the grass by the diggers and then away onto the shore line, and I didn't find it again. I took a few photos but they weren't good enough to post.

Also seen:
Curlew - 2
Golden Plover - 5
Lapwing - 11
Skylark - 3
Pied Wagtail - 3
Red Grouse - 1 calling
Song Thrush - 1













Later at Mankinholes:
Little Owl - 2
Mistle Thrush - 2
Redwing - 1
Raven - 1 overhead

1 comment:

David Sutcliffe said...

Pleased to hear its still there Jeff and glad you got it. Martyn also saw it there this afternoon, possibly stay for a week or two yet? Who knows how long its been there as well. Nice Song Thrush photo as well.