Sunday, March 07, 2010

Things are moving

Cold Edge Road - Yesterday I was filming 6 Golden Plovers in the fields along here. A Peregrine also went over later. This morning I went back for more Goldies. 2 flocks in 2 fields, 13 and 18 respectively, plus 13 Skylarks.
Gorple in the afternoon gave me the chance to film a posse of 4 Oystercatchers. Earlier, 2 Curlew went over, and later, Lapwing flocks of 32, 25 and 15 or thereabouts heading towards Walshaw. Sadly, they did not come down where I expected to be able to get some footage. I have no idea where they ended up. Another flock of around 20 Goldies were kicking around the pub area. Buzzard and kestrels were kicking about the area, as were Stock Doves and the usual suspects.
None of the local pools have turned up any frogs as yet, and I am on the lookout for boxing mad March hares.....only t'other lagomorph seen so far.
SC & ND

5 comments:

AndyC said...

I have watched hare's boxing at Jay House lane with up to 6 present in 2007.

Nick Carter said...

Next door neighbour has a pond which although new did have a couple of frogs breeding last year, they say you are welcome to film there if they return, I'll let you know!

Steve Cummings said...

Thanks for the heads-up on that Andy. Any idea what the date was?

So far the only Hares I've seen in Calderdale have been odd ones at Ringstone and Walshaw, the latter running from Beagles on one occasion!
These have all been later in the year. Boxing time should be about now in the lowlands, but may be later up here?????

Steve Cummings said...

Cheers Nick, thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Andrew Huyton said...

Hares also seen up widdop and at colden last year, though didn't witness them boxing.