Saturday, March 20, 2010

Calderdale Rookeries

Following my attempts to find an eye-level rookery or one that can be overlooked, I received a spreadsheet of last years survey from Dave Sutcliffe (cheers Dave!), as I went through them I soon found myself mapping these soI've put a link at the bottom for the result if anyone is interested. Unfortunately it hasn't transferred the colours - on google earth it is colour coded with respect to usage so I'll try see to this over the next week or two. It has shown up a couple of rookeries missing from last years survey (Hartshead Moor service station and one at Ripponden ) I've coloured them purple.

I thought I'd leave it open for anyone to amend, I can always re-upload the original so move the sites if I've put them in the wrong place.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&hq=&hnear=Hatfield,+Hertfordshire,+United+Kingdom&msa=0&msid=115437265760301155888.00048241a1a44a2b22d24&ll=53.720279,-1.949387&spn=0.196246,0.438766&z=11

7 comments:

Steve Cummings said...

Wow! Excellent job Jim.

Steve Blacksmith said...

Yes, excellent job. On my screen, part of the text was hidden by the map, though. Tried to drag it aside, but couldn't.

I noticed another small rookery last week, I think unrecorded so far. At Southowrham end of West Lane, the road that goes over to Exley. The 4 nests are opposite Marshall's offices.

David Sutcliffe said...

That's fantastic Jim. I think one or two sites might need re-adjusting to the exact location as some of the grid references might be slightly out - but not by much! Good news on the extra Rookery at Southowram too Steve - thanks.

jasonov said...

like i say - theres one in peoples park(not on map) that would be good if you could get in calderdale college....

David Sutcliffe said...

We have the Peoples Park one on the file for last year. Yes the college might be a good spot to look into the nests. The Rooks have started building this year in some trees nearer the college from last year. Not sure if these are new pairs or they are just moving around !

Jim Welford said...

I have changed all inactive rookery icons to red and ordered them on the left. Three have been missed off, Holywell green, Sunny Vale and Hartshead Nursing home. Peoples Park is on there (R29), I may have a few locations a bit out so as previously said, feel free to relocate to the correct tree.

Steve Cummings said...

Jim, I paid a visit to the Rochdale Rd. Greetlands site today. From a photographic perspective, you have a closer working distance but you are essentially looking up at the birds/nests. Not great, but it is possible to get something. Dave tells me that there a more nests down the valley here that may be visible from Scar Bottom Lane. I didn't check for these as I didn't know about them at the time of my visit.