Sunday, December 07, 2008

Strange Gull Behaviour

Hi all
A question about some bird behaviour I have never seen before and cannot find in any of my books. Sue and I had a walk along the coast today here in N Wales as the weather was so beautiful it made tweeter watching a real pleasure as one could sit and observe for long periods without getting chilled (in fact we got sun burnt faces). As we made our way across Nefyn Golf course (a superb spot for wildlife of all kinds) we watched a Herring Gull behaving in a most peculiar fashion. The bird appeared to be dancing or drumming its feet very fast on the grass in one small area and then pausing and looking at the ground. Occasionally it would peck up something and eat it. The bird continued with this drum and pause for the 15 mins or so we sat watching it from close range (around 30 feet). I could only assume its drumming on the ground was either disturbing or attracting invertebrates to the surface which it then ate. Now one possibility we thought of was that the drumming made a sound like heavy rain and attracted worms or something to the surface ? I have never seen another gull or any other bird do this so wonder is this a recognised behaviour amongst gulls or any birds for that matter ?

The gull stayed in a flat area (tee off for one of the holes) and never moved more than a small area of say one metre square the whole time we watched it and the drumming of its feet lasted for say around 60 seconds at a time and then the bird paused and waited whilst looking at the ground. We watched the bird for 15 mins or so and it was still in the same place drumming as we left to head home. Any help with an explanation most gratefully received.

7 comments:

oldsoulrebel said...

Hi Paul,
that is exactly what it was doing, attracting insects to the surface. Gulls and waders often do this, such as Little Ringed Plover

Martyn

Unknown said...

The normal explanation for this behaviour is that they are making it sound like it is raining. Earthworms then fearing that their holes will get filled with water come to the surface and can be eaten.

Nigel Lindsey

Mike Stead said...

Hi Paul- my Collins 'Complete Guide' by Dominic Cozens describes them paddling their feet in soft mud to find worms and crustaceans.
Perhaps this one thought the ground was softer than it really was ! They are also known to drop crustaceans from a height on to hard ground to break open the shells.
A good sighting.
Cheers
Mike

Nick Carter said...

I have often seen this behaviour from waders, usually in a small very shallow pool or muddy patch, I've always assumed it was to stir prey up or even attract it to the surface? Can't say I recall it from a gull though.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Mike/Nick
Thanks for the replies. It really was just about the most peculiar bit of bird behaviour I have ever seen. It was most comical to watch if truth be known and the gull moved its feet at an amazing speed almost like it was tap-dancing. The bird was concentrating on what it was doing and there were definate pauses between the paddling of its feet whilst it peered at the ground and occasionally pecked something and swallowed it.. Sue and I both thought that it was perhaps trying to make a noise like heavy rainfall to attract worms to the surface. The ground it was doing it on is dry and well drained as its a tee off point for one of the holes on the golf course. I wish I had had a camcorder with me at the time. As I said in the post I have never seen any bird do anything remotely resembling this behaviour.

By the way Mike I have watched Hooded Crows on Skye and other Western Isles in Scotland dropping Mussels onto the shore from a hight to crack them open.

PS after yesterdays sunburn I have got rust burn today as its peed it down non stop all day :-(( I did have the Buzzard back to my feeding station though feeding on the remains of a Mallard Drake carcase I had just plucked and dressed for my freezer. One of the plus points around here is that someone is always giving away ducks, pheasants , rabbits or fish. I get the good bits and the Buzzards get fed the rest. I must admit it brings a whole new angle to setting up a feeding station for the birds in your back garden :-))

Nick Carter said...

Apologies to "oldsoul" and Nigel their posts were added late due to me not checking posts requiring moderating until my return from the north west. If either of you want permission to post directly just get in touch.

Goldon Gordon said...

Ah...I wondered why the comments had suddenly appeared above yours and Mikes comments Nick.

My thanks to ALL who kindly responded. I am pleased to have it comfirmed that Sue and I had guessed correctly as to what it was up to with its "rain dance" As I do not spend as much time bird watching as most of you thats why I have not seen the behaviour before.