Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Sparrow hybrid?

I was just browsing through some old photos I took during the 90s and came across this one (originally from a film camera) of two sparrows on my garage roof in suburban Skircoat Green. The right hand bird appears to have the cheeks and white collar of a Tree Sparrow but the grey crown and location would suggest House?? According to an old copy of "Bird Identification " by Harris, Tucker and Vinicombe hybrids are rare, so I was wondering if anyone else has come across one locally.

Charlie.

3 comments:

Steve Blacksmith said...

Interesting photo.R.S.R.Fitter, in a 1950s article, says that among songbirds, hybrids have been noted between Swallow and House Martin, Goldfinch and Greenfinch, Common Redstart and Black Redstart.
The bird does seem to show characteristics of both species.
You say "on area" it seems unlikely but there were Tree Sparrows nesting as close as the Calder and Hebble Canal Basin in the 90's.
(They used a hole annually in the railway viaduct pillar beside the river Calder.) This would have been published by the Halifax Scientific Society.
Previously, they had inhabited the rocks in North Dean Wood, according to Frank Murgatroyd, who was warden there, but they had departed by the 90s.

charlie streets said...

Thanks Steve. The last sighting I had locally was of 3 birds in Scar wood in 1981 so that's why I thought it unlikely to be pure Tree Sparrow (although I've had Hobby, Hen Harrier and Garden Warbler this year in or from the garden, so Tree Sparrow is hardly out of the question)

I remember taking several shots of the bird at the time and was sure it was a hybrid but I can't find them now although I probably still have the negatives somewhere.

I'll put it down as half a garden tick :-)

charlie streets said...

It's just come to my attention that it could well be a juvenile Tree Sparrow....doh!