Friday, April 27, 2007

Elland Gravel Pits


Went down this morning hoping for a Sedge Warbler, no luck on that front but Garden Warbler was a year tick for me. Bumped into Petar Grba and as we went our separate ways at 10:30 I looked up and saw a Hobby approaching at speed from the SE. It flew straight into large numbers of hirundines over the ski lake but missed it's intended prey. Due to the fact that I was making all sorts of excited noises Petar ran back towards me and also managed to get on to the Hobby for a short time. It then flew off in a NW direction.

Some 10 minutes later I noticed a Tern over the water and after it settled briefly on a buoy was able to photograph it and identify it as a Common Tern. The bird was still around until 12 noon when I left Petar hoping for an Osprey this afternoon. Some folk are never satisfied!

6 comments:

darrell j prest said...

nice one dave good record

S Gray said...

pete who

Nick Carter said...

Pete Grba former regular "member" of our group but lost contact of late, obviously still birding locally though.

darrell j prest said...

im still in contact with pete he keeps meaning to join the grapevine again but....

heavy birder said...

Great news about the Hobby, can we please have a description. Must be the same bird I had on Monday and Brian had on Sunday.Pete Grba has rung me today and is going to rejoin the grapevine in the near future.

AndyC said...

How many people are now on the grapevine.?