Thursday, June 14, 2012

Walk to Hoofstone Heights invitation.

Hoofstone Heights is the highest point in Calderdale.There will be a walk through upper Colden Dale and Noah Dale to Hoofstone Heights on Saturday, unless the rain is very heavy. I think I have worked out why one of the stones is called the Hoofstone. It has an interesting link with another high point just outside the area

If any birders want to get to know some of the footpaths that weave through, they are welcome to join us.

Meet outside New Delight at Jack Bridge 10.30 for a 10.45 start.
Bring packed lunch. No charge.

This is one of the monthly Halifax Scientific Society rambles, but distance and available time means we won't be stopping to look at every blade of grass.

3 comments:

ChrisJB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisJB said...

Steve, I'd be interested to hear more about the stone you say might give Hoofstones Heights its name and it's link to another hill just outside the area. I've walked up here many times down the years and have found the odd flint up there in the past too.
Unfortunately though I can't make the walk.

Best wishes, Chris

Steve Blacksmith said...

There is a carving on one stone, which, when you crouch down to look at it points over the top of the rock.

It is shaped like a hoof, with the curve of the front pointing up and a line inside this curve, very much like the frog in a horses foot, pointing almost exactly to the highest point of Pendle Hill, way across the other side of the Burnley Valley.

I have a digital pic somewhere, but I doubt if I can find it. If you send me your email, I can send you a sketch, if not the photo.
steve.blacksmith@gmail.com

You might be interested in our next talk. It's on archaeology. See our blog at calderdale-wildlife.blogspot.