Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Hipperholme garden and tame woodcock

Interesting post just now from my colleague Chris Sutcliffe...

This cold snap that we are having is certainly bringing the birds into and around the garden, and costing a pretty packet in feeding them. But it is not without its benefits, This week i have had the sparrowhawk visit, two male bullfinch, all 5 varieties of titmouse (that should get through the flter) a couple of mistle thrushes and the heron on the side of the stream as well.

However the most unusual visitor was just a couple of minutes ago, coming back from the shop with my milk there was a woodcock waddling down the road. I managed to stop and reverse the car to within 5 ft of it (they are pretty big birds). I was not sure if it was injured or not but once I had parked up and walked back towards it, the bird walked off for a little way and then took off and flew up the road.

9 comments:

Nick Carter said...

Sounds like another bird struggling with the hard weather, I had a woodcock fly down Burnley Road just outside king Cross at the weekend.

AndyC said...

I was talking with a gamekeeper in scotland a few weeks ago and he told me last year he shot 120 woodcock in the hard weather in one weekend...lets hope we get a thaw quickley

AndyC said...

what 5 varieties of titmouse do you get......?

Nick Carter said...

What sport can there possibly be in shooting birds that you can probably virtually walk up to due to them struggling with lack of food and cold?

Jeff Cox said...

I'm afraid there isn't a logical link between the words "sport", "shooting" and "birds". Having seen the news from Malta and Sardinia nothing surprises me.

Chris said...

Andy

We are getting;
Blue tit (excess of 12)
Great tit (about 9)
Coal tit (3)
Marsh tit (at least 1 but have had up to 3 at one time)
Long tailed tit (only 1 so far, last Feb we could get 12 - 15 at a time)

Chris

Sandra said...

re woodcock: How very sad - what a waste of such a beautiful bird - would be a waste of any bird in my opinion. And I suppose he'd go home with such a sense of achievement! Grrh.......

AndyC said...

Try and get a photo of Marsh/willow tit if you can they are very scarce these days in our area...????

Nick Carter said...

To be honest Chris I think they are more likely to be Willow Tit, as Andy says they are both rare locally but Marsh Tit is very (very) rare. The two are very difficult to seperate but look for a pale wing panel which is present on Willow but not Marsh. Calls are diagnostic but i guess they don't call much at you feeders?