Saturday, November 06, 2010

Elland Gravel Pits

Went up to Ringstone yet again to check on the Whooper and yes, it is still there, also present were 250 Lapwing, 1000 Black-headed Gull & 100 Common Gull mainly feeding in the fields which have been 'heavily manured' very recently!

I was just on my way down to Elland Gravel Pits from Ringstone when I received a text from Dave Sutcliffe that Mike Henshaw had seen a pair of Pintail first thing down there, however no sign of them during my visit from 09:00hrs until 09:30hrs.

9 Tufted Duck, 1 Goldeneye, at least 2 Great Crested Grebe, 6 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron and c20 Siskin were present at 09:00hrs and later on 328 Pink-footed Geese flew south-east at 09:30hrs in one skein which was a great sight.

3 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Interesting to hear the Whooper is still there and such a lot of gulls too. Mike said he saw the Pintail drop in first thing so it looks like they moved on fairly quickly. Nice lot of pinkies!

David Tattersley said...

Not there this morning (7th) Dave

Mike Henshaw said...

Sorry you missed the Pintails but I had to leave at 0850 as I was off to Derbyshire for the weekend so I missed the Geese and the Goldeneye but did see 3 Goldcrests and 4 Redpolls