Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Species Diversity

I did briefly mention this topic to one or two people at the Xmas bash, but would appreciate comments from others.

Around 15 years ago I fed birds regularly in my garden with the usual seed, nuts and fats. At that time I noted many species of birds who visited the garden to feed on a regular basis. We had large numbers of Great, Blue and Coal tits, with a few Long Tailed tits and Goldcrests occasionally using the food. It was not unusual to have four or five Blackbirds and Song Thrushes at anytime feeding. We also had Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Robin, Wren, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Starling. Both Lesser & Greater peckers were on the feeders daily. There are probably species I have missed out of the list but the general idea is that there were a broad range of birds at the feeders most of every day in winter.

Since I started feeding in the garden again a couple of weeks back I have noticed a massive drop on numbers and species compared to 15 years ago. The only regular feeders in any numbers are Great, Blue & Coal tits. Nuthatch appear daily and I did have two sightings of Lesser Pecker as reported on the blog. But I have only had the odd finch visitor (Chaffinch & Greenfinch), no other finches have been seen. I do get Robin and Blackbird, but no thrushes.

The point of all this is an apparent species crash in Park Wood in the last 15 years or so of woodland songbirds. I don't regularly walk the wood anymore as you can be run down by off road motorbikes or mountain bikes at any time of day or night. Its also a haunt of idiots with air rifles who like to think they are great white hunters cos the bagged a couple of Squirrels. Now I realise that all the things mentioned above have probably contributed to some degree in a decline of birds in the wood. It could also be some sort of change due to a lack of understory growth in the wood making nesting sites scarce. But I suspect that one major factor in the huge surge in numbers of Grey Squirrels which are now numbered in their hundreds in the woods despite the attentions of the aforementioned great white hunters. Now I didn't want to get into the murky waters of controlling the numbers of squirrels in the wood, but surely if the picture in Park Wood is mirrored nationally we have had a truly catastrophic drop in song birds of woodlands nationally ?

Not being a regular birder and thus not being abreast of the latest reports on song bird decline in woodlands (I have seen a read reports of farmland bird decline) is this species diversity decline a common feature in Calderdale woodlands ? I would assume (and again only being a learner am happy to be shot down if wrong) that hole nesting birds such as tits, peckers and nuthatches are less prone to nest robbing by Squirrels than other birds and this is the reason they have not declined ?

I should also day that the national decline in bird numbers and diversity is reflected in the world of moths. I have taken part in many discussions as to why our moth populations have declined so dramatically in the last 30/40 years. This decline is also possible a reason why some birds have declined also due to the massive lost biomass of food potentially available to birds from moths.

I know I have rambled on a bit here but as no one is posting much on sightings at the moment it is a quiet time to slip in my beginners questions

6 comments:

Nick Carter said...

For latest data on population changes etc go to http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2007/

Pretty sure the Grey Squirrels and bikers won't be helping!

Nick Carter said...

Comment received from Steve Downing (who is having trouble posting).......

Here's some info from a recent RSPB publication about predators. I'll make a short story shorter.

Squirrels are not responsible for declining numbers of woodland birds. The Repeat Woodland Bird Survey has looked at more than 400 woods over 20 years and conclude that changes in woodland structure are the most likely cause. This is probably as a consquence of ageing woodland, reduced management and an increase in browsing by deer. [Amar et al 2006].

35 species are studied and only 2, Hawfinch and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, decline more where there are higher densities of squirrels. Canopy nesting Hawfinch may be vulnerable to squirrels [Fuller at al 2005]; however the link is not proven.

33 species are apparantly uneffected by grey squirrels.

Similar conclusions are drawn about the effect [or lack or effect] on willow tit by Greater Spotted Woodpeckers.

Maybe it is time to pressure on the woodland owners to improve their management.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
Thanks for the link and info from Steve.
I had thought Park Wood probably had a low species density anyway due to lack of much undergrowth for nesting. What threw me off on the Squirrels as a possible cause was the apparent good mix of species of finches etc on Lowfields (which has no Squirrels) immediately opposite the wood but poor response to my feeders in the wood itself (my garden is to basically in the woodland fringe). Is it possible to obtain details from Steve on how to obtains copies of the book he mentions as I would like to read this.

I don't hold out much hope for any positive woodland management in Park Wood I'm afraid. Its partly owned by Calderdale Council and Knowles Pipe Works and sadly I don't think either have much interest in positive woodland management.

Nick Carter said...

Steve checks the Blog so hopefully he will pass details on, I think he is having posting problems at the moment but I'll let you know if he gets in touch.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
Thanks once again mate. As with my entomology, simply seeing things is not enough for me however beautiful/interesting they are. I have to know why things happen or at least try and find out. Much as I have enjoyed simply seeing birds with new eyes in recent months I feel I would like to more know more about the whys and wherefores of behaviour,etc. The ecology of wildlife has always been of prime importance to me in fostering my interest in nature.

john beaumont said...

Pauls comments are interesting re owners of Elland Park wood having no interest in management.
Perhaps this is an area where the Calderdale Consevation group could get involved.