Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Feeding Station at Cromwell Bottom

I have now upped the number of feeders at the feeding station on Tag Loop to cope with demand in the cold weather. If you go up the track over Tag till you get to the "viewing" stone near the summit on the right, you will see the track I have made to the feeders. I usually scatter pinhead oats and nyger seed near the stone and track and a small amount of pinhead oats under the feeders themselves.

Birds seen at the feeders and stone so far have been:
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpie
Jay
Crow
and this morning a male Pheasant was rooting around under the feeders until it spotted the dog and ran and then flew off onto Northbank Loop.


I also scatter carrots in the area from time to time for the Roe Deer but they only put in an appearance very early in the morning. Whilst I was topping up the feeders and adding some more the Blue Tits carried on feeding right next to me. As soon as I moved off huge numbers of tits moved onto the feeders immediately, it looked like a scene from the Hitchcock film the birds ! I tend not to hang around long as I have the dog with me and I want the birds to be able to feed quickly and feel confident on the feeders. I suspect it wont be long before a Sparrowhawk notices the activity and I find feathers under the feeders occasionally.

No Yellowhammer yet :-((

No comments: