Thursday, December 13, 2007

Boxing Day Bird Race & Bridge Inn

A few people have emailed to tell me that as Boxing Day is such a poor day to hold a fund raising event due to family commitments, would I be prepared to shift this to another day. I personally have no problem with this as the whole idea was to have a fun day AND raise funds for the Conservation Committee. Would others prefer another date for the great bird race and if so when ? I am happy to change the date if people can agree on a date and still offer a copy of NN, History of Ornithology as a prize. I think we should make this one £5 per team to enter. But you have to turn up at the agreed evening venue with your list to be able to enter.I am still offering the brand new unopened copy of the latest NN A History of Ornithology as a prize in the Xmas raffle. This is valued at £45 but will rocket in value over the next few years if people want to hang onto. Nick has tickets for sale at £5 each and remember every penny raised goes back into helping local bird life, so if you have not bought a ticket yet please do.

The "evening get together" at the Bridge inn on the 23rd December will have two prizes on offer donated by Pennine Books. I will be donating two copies of "Merlins of the South East Yorkshire Dales" by Peter Wright. How these will be used I shall leave up to the organisers of the event as any funds raised on the evening are going to support the optics for Malta appeal I believe.

4 comments:

Goldon Gordon said...

I forgot to mention that the two Merlin books have been signed specially by the author for this event.

Alf King said...

My fiver is safely lodged with Nick and I am in great hopes of scooping yet another raffle prize from the Calderdale birders. Your only hopes of preventing this winging its way to deepest Huddersfield is to get your fivers in as well. You know it's a good cause and everyone's got plenty of cash to spare at this time of year, so get your hands in your pockets before this coup can occur.

I would have liked to spend time with some of you guys on the 23rd but am otherwise engaged, so at least that's one raffle that you should win!!

Nick Carter said...

Once again many thanks to Paul for this generous offer. Over the last 12 months Paul has helped us raise a significant amount of money either through book donations for raffles or via direct donations to the group, good stuff from a guy who by his own admission isn't a regular birder. Thanks again Paul!

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
On the contrary I am a regular birder these days, I'm just not very good at it yet ! I only provide some small cash incentives, its the conservation committee that provide the inspiration.