Wednesday, December 12, 2007

12 December odd looking Bunting

Roils Head PM
A Reed Bunting is a good record at Roils Head so 6 birds feeding in the scrubby area below the playing fields was most unusual. One of these birds appeared to be smaller than the rest and spent all its time sculking in long grass with just the top of its head visible. I was drawn to this because it had a most outstanding pale central crown stripe. (I started to think of Little Bunting) and my pulse started racing as I thought I saw rusty looking cheeks, but this was very brief and my immagination could have got the better of me. The birds were then flushed by a Dog walker and not seen again. On returning home I checked my field guides and noted that a strong cental crown stripe is a good bet for Little Bunting, unfortunatly I saw no other detail. It will probably turn out to be just a Reed Bunting but the area is well worth checking tomorrow.
Also present 9 Redpoll, 20 Golden Plover at High Road Well Moor and 68 Pink feet flew west at Mount Tabor.

3 comments:

Nick Carter said...

Nick, if you find it again please text it out, Little Bunting is a major bogey bird for me I've been near so many but yet to connect!

darrell j prest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john beaumont said...

Don't agree with Darrell at all. the super on first winter Little is very close in colour to Reed Bunts and yes Little is a distinctive little bird but you still need to see it well. I think this bird is well worth looking for.