Monday, December 17, 2007

Magical Morning !

I have just set up a feeding station in my garden here on Park Rd near Elland. The garden backs directly into Park Wood. Whilst I am waiting for my bought feeding station to arrive from CJ Birdfoods, I set up a couple of trays with a selection of nuts, dried fruit, seeds and lard blocks on my picnic table last Friday. I have had a steady stream of birds attending before today including, Coal, Great & Blue Tit, Goldcrest, Wren, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Jay, Magpie.

This morning has been magical as there have been up to four Nuthatch at a time on the table taking peanuts and I have also had a single lesser pecker twice (or at least I have seen one twice) feeding on the lard blocks. Not bad going for a 15 x 12 foot garden ! I was bragging to Nick Carter yesterday that I would get lesser pecker at the table as I got them regularly before when I used to feed the birds in the garden 10 years or so ago,but I never expected them to appear again so quickly and Nuthatch is a garden first.

7 comments:

AndyC said...

Amazing stuff ,as i dropped the seed off out side your front door this morning,i herd a lesser pecker but i was in such a rush i dismissed it.

AndyC said...

Is the pecker male or female.?

Matt Bell said...

I'd get the kettle on if I were you. I suspect you're going to get a few knocks on the door! Great record anywhere, particularl Calderdale.

Nick Carter said...

Paul, assuming you don't mind visiting birders is it OK to put the news of your lesser Pecker (ooer) out on the grapevine?

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Andy
No idea if they were male or female as they buggered off pronto. First time due to me going out to the dustbin and scaring it off. Don't know who was more shocked me or the pecker. Second time I saw it was when the dog nipped out for pee in the garden and the pecker took off again. I just spotted a tiny pecker with a red head streaking off through the trees at the back. I have got up from work every 10 mins since then for a look and not had a sighting though the Nuthatches have been regular visitors all afternoon.

Worst thing is that I have a guy I building me a fence all day tomorrow so no bloody chance of them coming back until Wednesday. At least by then my new all singing all dancing feeding station should have arrived.

Just think Andy, if you had knocked on the door mate you might have spotted the buggers before me :-))

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
No problem, but see my reply to Andy. Fencers in all day tomorrow putting up my new fence. Do you have a number I can call when they or it hopefully reappear this week ?

Nick Carter said...

Will E mail a telephone number