Thursday, April 04, 2024

Travelling gull

On 16 December 2023, in Shibden Park, I read the number of a white ring on the leg of a Black-headed Gull, and sent it to the BTO. The BTO told me it is a ring from Norway, and gave me an email address to write to.

I have had a reply from Morten Halberg of Birdlife Norway. He told me that the bird was ringed as an adult on 21 April 2021 in Stavangar on the southwest coast of Norway.

Morten also gave me a list of all the other dates and places this ring has been read. These show that the bird flew east, and then that it has been 'commuting' between Norway and the UK. The dates and places are:-

  April and June 2022: Oslo, Norway - 190 miles east of Stavangar

  December 2022: Shibden Park, UK

  April and May 2023: Oslo

  November + December 2023 and January (4th) 2024: Shibden Park

1 comment:

David Sutcliffe said...

Always interesting these reports from ringing activities. Thanks Pete.