Friday, May 05, 2023

Bradshaw

Absolutely bonkers scenes this morning!

Due to the thick fog, I postponed my morning visit to Soil Hill until visibility improved. However, I kept an eye on things from my window. As the fog began to lift at around 09:20, a casual scan with the scope picked out a large white bird on the newly constructed pond just south of Bradshaw village. Although it had its back to me, it helpfully turned revealing its great big snout, clear even through the poor visibility.

Spoonbill! 

After putting the news out I kept an eye on the bird until AC arrived, after which it stayed probably another 10 minutes after before it took off. It never looked settled, with the bird preening constantly, and as the fog continued to lift, it clearly reached a point the bird felt was sufficient for it to continue on its way. Although it initially looked like it might head off towards Ogden, it looped around, and headed off northeast towards Bradford, directly over our heads, providing the best views of Spoonbill I have ever had! 

An absolutely bonkers record! It is a shame that it did not linger for other observers, or for the fog to clear enough for it to be visible from my Soil Hill area. 

-Spoonbill

2 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Absolutely brilliant Daniel. I was just too late setting off so ended up at Ogden. Stunning photos.

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Thanks for the call Daniel.
Pity I was so far away!!!
A magic moment that you'll remember for a long long
time and a great photo and find for Calderdale.
Well done.
John