Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Soil Hill

 Absolutely phenomenal morning on Soil Hill, with thrush migration starting from first light and continuing until early afternoon. I counted from 07:30 - 12:30, although birds were still trickling through after this time.


  • The bulk of the birds moving were Redwing, with 12679 until I left. The movement was more consistent for the first couple of hours after sunrise, although bursts of movement continued during the morning. There were also flocks of Fieldfare moving between Redwing flocks, I counted 1035 of these.

  • My first Whooper Swans of the autumn came south, flying over Ogden before continuing down the valley. There were also three skeins of Pink-footed Geese that flew northwest.

  • Just as I was wrapping up, a Red Kite flew north, my first here this year.

  • There was also decent Woodpigeon movement, with 812 going south, slightly less than the 1291 that went past yesterday.
Also five Teal (3 drakes) on the NK pond still


In total managed 47 species this morning, the full list here; https://ebird.org/checklist/S120932642

-Whooper Swans
-Red Kite


8 comments:

darrell j prest said...

128 pink foots went west/north ovenden this morning around 930 during work here i could constantley hear redwings flying overhead until midday when they seemed to drop off

given the large numbers reported on birdguides i reckon nearly 200000 redwings came over today

migration at its best

AndyC said...

Yes a great day to be out , I have put my records on Trek if you could add Soil Hill and Other sites if would be very impressive , or I could add them if everybody is ok with that..??

AndyC said...

Between Cock hill , Oxenhope and Soil Hill there must have been 35000+ Redwings in 3/4 hours
flying into Calderdale...!!!!

AndyC said...

The distance between Cockhill and Soil hill as the crow flies is aprox 4 miles..

Daniel Branch said...

I uploaded them to Trek, but not sure what's happening, when I'm not logged in it doesn't show in the database so I guess it doesn't show for you either?

https://www.trektellen.org/count/view/767/20221019

AndyC said...

yes thats odd , no sign of Soil Hill at all..??

David Sutcliffe said...

Soil Hill doesn't show here on Trek. Suggest let Clive Mackie know, he might be able to fix it (??)

Daniel Branch said...

I've dropped him an email, hopefully he can get that sorted. I've been uploading every day so fingers crossed those lists haven't been lost.