Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rookery Survey 2009

Many thanks to those who have already offered to take part.
Several areas are now allocated but we need more help with the following areas from the 1964 survey which was undertaken by Halifax Scientific Society. (1964 nests in brackets)

Sowerby Bridge to Triangle (49)
Millbank (7)
Denton Bridge area (357)
Rishworth (88)

Hawksclough (16)
Hebden Bridge - Albert Street (10)
Mytholm Church (27)

Luddenden Foot to Boulderclough (49)

Exley Bank (17)
Exley - Chevinedge (4)

Elland - Elsinore Avenue (2)
Greetland (31)
Holywell Green (44)

Rastrick - Delf Hill/Crowtrees Lane (25)
Rastrick - Field Lane/Tofts Grove (130)

Other areas may have colonies but there is no reference in the 1964 survey so the following also need to be checked. Nil counts are just as important;
Copley, Stainland, Barkisland, Shibden Park and the valley up from Stump Cross, Sowerby/Beechwood, Cragg Vale, Hebden Bridge to Midgeholme, Hardcastle Crags, Crimsworth Dean, Colden Valley etc.

The 1964 survey did not include areas up the Calder Valley beyond Hebden Bridge. As this is part of Calderdale it would also be good to cover;
Hebden Bridge to Todmorden, Todmorden to Cornholme/Portsmouth (Burnley Road), Todmorden to Walsden, Todmorden - Harley Wood/Woodlands Avenue etc. etc.

Birds are starting to be active at colonies now so it's a good time in March to start having a look and take initial count and then count again before the leaves come on in April/May.
Q 1 - is there a colony present?

Q 2 - Estimated number of 'Apparantley Ocuupied Nests' (this is the criteria suggested by the BTO)

Q 3 - Precise location (grid reference if possible but not essential as I hope to be able to forward all the information to the BTO Atlas survey at the end of the season)

Please email or text or post a message on the blog as soon as possible if you can commit to an area and thereafter forward all the information to me. The more volunteers take part, the better.
Many thanks on behalf of Calderdale Bird Conservation Group.
Dave

10 comments:

AndyC said...

Hi Dave,if you drop me a line letting me know what area you want me to do.ie.if you draw a line from Northowram to barkisland anything to the east or s/e of that.

Muxy said...

Dave - I will cover Copley if you want.

Nick Carter said...

I'll do Mytholmroyd/Ludd Foot as requested

Jeff Cox said...

I'm a BTO member and have been doing the BBS since 1995. Currently involved with the Bird Atlas as well. Mike Denton (BTO Regional Rep) knows me and can vouch for me (I hope!?!).

Found the Calderdale blog a few weeks ago and have posted a couple of comments but nothing back. Submitted sightings but not posted - editorial discretion I guess?

Anyway - if you want a volunteer for the Upper Calder Valley I live up by Stoodley Pike so can cover as much of Todmorden and its surrounding area out to Walsden and Portsmouth as you need. Let me know if you want me.
Jeff Cox
jakeox@btinternet.com

Mike Stead said...

Dave - I can look at the Rastrick sites

Bruce said...

Hi Dave
I will do Sowerby Bridge to Rishworth

Nick Carter said...

Hi Jeff Sorry to hear your comments didn't get through, this is an invite only blog and although a couple of us check for unmoderated comments fairly regularly we must have missed your earlier ones. Sincere apologies for this, we want as many observations and people involved as possible, I will send you an invite to post directly to the blog.

David Sutcliffe said...

Thanks for the response to all. That looks fine to me thus far. I will get back to you asap ie.. map for Andy.
Muxy Copley - many thanks.
Nick - cheers for My'royd/ Ludd foot.
Jeff - good to have you on board. If you are happy to cover as much of Tod as you describe that is greatly appreciated, go for it!
Mike - Rastrick sites, many thanks.
Bruce - Sowerby Bridge to Rishworth is yours, I think you might get a shock from last time with many fewer nests I guess!

Nick Carter said...

I did a days checking around the Ludd/Mytholmroyd areas yesterday and was very concerned to find that of the previously listed Rookeries several had gone completely and of those that were still there the numbers were greatly down, hope this isn't an early indication of a big crash?

David Sutcliffe said...

I get that feeling too Nick. Severley down at my sites.