Friday, January 06, 2012

Allan Park

Having lived in Sowerby Bridge for almost 12mths I decided that I would start trying one or 2 new spots other than High Royd.

I didn't have much time to spare but having been to the Docs I carried on up the street to try out Allan Park (kids back at school and late morning I was hoping it would be free from noisy bipeds or even nosier quadrapeds).

The park surprised me with several winding footpaths leading up the hillside and the birds surprised me by being concentrated into a small area around a turn in the path close to the kiddies playground (perhaps they too were making the most of no one else being around).

Blue/Great & Long tailed tits were everywhere as were Blackbirds interspersed with the odd Wren.

2 male Bullfinch are always a delight to see and 2 Goldcrests gave me brief hope of finding a Firecrest. A single Redpoll called as it flew over and then circled back before alighting briefly in the top of a bush before carrying on it's way and a lone Jay seemed to keep the smaller birds on their toes clearly not convinced that they were safe in it's presense.

Further along and slightly higher up a couple of Magpie's and more Blackbirds but far less of the smaller birds with only a few Long tail/Great and Blue tit and a lone Goldcrest.

A followed the path on until it opened up to reveal the well grazed fields below Norland where Rooks and Jackdaws all had their heads down in search of food and a single Common Gull passed over. I can see this area being good come spring, with a few horses and some good looking muck heaps bound to draw something in - yellow wagtail? why not?

So with Norland moor probably only ten minutes further on I think I've found my Spring hunting grounds and that made me think, I've heard people say Norland moor is ruined by dog walkers but perhaps that has now led to it being seriously underwatched, only lighter evenings and time will tell.

4 comments:

Muxy said...

Must admit i find the moor overrun with dog walkers. The fields towards the rugby club are good in winter for thrushes and plover flocks. Plenty of starlings there too so always worth checking for a rose!

Andrew Huyton said...

Do you go up often or have you given up as a result of the dog walkers?

AndyC said...

there was a pied fly and a tree pipit in the small Birches opposite the pub a few years ago and allways a pair of stonechats kicking around.Got to be a good vis mig spot on the moor somewhere.?

Muxy said...

I cycle through the woods from Copley church and round the moor at least once a week. AndyC is right there is still plenty of interest and NCD had a Wryneck up there. I just think it could be so much better. In the breeding season there are dogs off lead all over the moor. The best chance is on the edges.
P.S. I cycle alone and stick to bridleways or roads to minimise disturbance before anyone has a go!;-)