Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ryburn Reservoir - Sunday 13/09/09


Mainly went for sunrise and some landscape photos but I did take bins. I was just finishing off and crossing the dam when I saw 2 ducks with prominent white eyestripes. First thought was garganey. Unfortunately they didn't hang around and flew off over the dam heading east. The only photo I managed to get (at 105mm!) was the above. What do others think? The bodies look too black and white compared to the others I've seen and photo'd this year.

Also seen: dipper, grey heron, grey wagtail, GSW, 2 moorhen, 4 mallard, goldcrest, longtailed tit, great tit, 2 willow warblers (or chiffchaff!), 3 jay.

5 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

2 drake Mandarins. They have been seen at this location in previous years. Also occasionally on the Calder at Elland and at Hebden Bridge - I think. Garganey would heve been nice though! well done for getting a photo Ian

heavy birder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heavy birder said...

Just worked out that these birds are actually in flight ! both look like Mandarins.

Ian Scott said...

Thanks for that Dave & Nick. I've never seen mandarin before so garganey was my best guess in the field. I was surprised I got a photo at all as the camera was still set on 2 second self timer and auto bracketing exposures.

David Sutcliffe said...

I have also seen Mandarins sitting in trees (outside the breeding season)- which looks most unusual for a 'duck' although several species do nest in trees ie Goldeneye