Friday, June 20, 2008

Undisclosed Sites

Thurday 6:30-9:30pm
3 SEO
1 LEO
Young LEO heard calling at 2 sites (NickD : heard young for the first time at the site from Monday calling at 9:15pm).

Some photos - short eared owl resting and hunting in the strong wind.




Long eared owl at the same spot as the short eared. Came towards me and hovered 2 metres above my head with its claws dangling while it checked me out. After a few seconds it carried on up the track. I didn't have time to change to the wide angle lens I'd have needed to get a photo!


More of the owls here under recent images

2 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Well done with the photos Ian - fantastic, was it thinking you were a prey item!
I also had a young one calling very loudly at another site at 9.45last night. Also 4 Woodcock roding.

David Sutcliffe said...

I also recall (in the distant past ie 1970's!) Barn Owls at a site at Elland hovering above my head like that, its a fantastic experience.