Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gropper at Scammonden

Extensive search around Scammonden and Deanhead this morning revealed one bird reeling on the south facing banking, near the church. In previous years the groppers seem to have preferred the wetter areas covered with juncas grass, but this particular individual has chosen a dryish, steep south facing slope covered with brambles and a few hawthorn.

The bird showed once for around 15 seconds so photography could prove tricky and tiring actually getting to the area in the first place. No doubt Sean will come up trumps!

1 female Goldeneye and 2 Great Crested Grebe (which are not regular here) on the water, a Cormorant over going west, 2 Grey Heron and c20 Willow Warbler also around.

2 comments:

Nick Carter said...

Good to finally meet last night Dave, sorry I didn't get chance to talk at the end of the meeting but my lift wanted to leave and wouldn't wait!

David Tattersley said...

Alf seemed keen to get your autograph so I thought I'd leave you to deal with your admirers, not that I aren't one myself of course!