Friday, December 22, 2017

Mixenden, Stodfold, Ogden golf course and Ogden

Quite an afternoon.......
Headed down towards Stodfold from Whitegate and scanned over towards Mixenden reservoir from a distance - pair of Goldeneye diving and a Cormorant on the buoy, 2 Mallard types and also 18/19 other large duck sp. unidentified.When I got to Mixenden Resr they were gone !!!

I headed off up towards the golf course (Green Woodpecker calling) when a call from BS alerted me to Pink-footed Geese heading down the valley from Ogden. Moments later they were over me (good timing Bri) - 43 of them towards Mixi res'r, they veered off towards Mount Tabor (where Nick D also got them a few minutes later)
 Pink-footed Geese (43)
Stodfold > towards Ogden
 
Another call from BS - 16 Wigeon, pair of Shoveler and a Teal had arrived at Ogden - looks like they moved there from mixi but they didn't head further in the misty gloom at higher level. So off I went over the golf course at a pace. Got to the top of the hill, catching my breath ..... Red Kite over head moving >N at 14:55 over the eastern ridge of the course. Hurried phone call to BS as the kite turned >NE over the plantation. He got it disappearing in the  gloom putting everything up on the res'r, including the Wigeon and Shoveler and they had gone when I got down there, spooked by the kite probably.
What an afternoon - I love it !!
 
See BS's West Yorkshire Birding blog for Brian's report and photo's of the duck on Ogden

1 comment:

Brian Sumner said...

Brian Sumner said... leaving 2017 with a bang Dave. Keep em coming.