Friday, August 05, 2016

Swales Moor

Ringby Lane late morning. I went looking for the Yellow Wagtail but I couldn't find it. Just a few Pied/alba Wagtails today so it  looks like most of them have moved on overnight maybe (?)

A really nice surprise was and adult Hobby at around 12:35. All the corvids went up and I caught this smart falcon passing me low down about 30 meters away. Immaculate plumage detail but I had just put the camera lens-cap on so just viewed it in the bin's going at speed it went straight past me and shot down the hillside >W and I lost it somewhere over the top end of Boothtown. Always a great bird to see though we have had very few confirmed reports this year.

Just a few Linnets, Goldfinch and Swallows about + 1 House Martin, loads of corvids, a few L B B Gulls and a 'trickle' of passing Swifts - mostly very high >W

3 comments:

Brian Sumner . said...

Hobbys a rare bird lately Dave , 2 year since my last sighting.
May be some adult Yellows to come as vis mig kicks off.

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Magic to get a Hobby Dave.
I guess they will soon be moving on?
A bird I've never seen.
John

David Sutcliffe said...

Lakenheath is a fantastic place for them with 20+ in the air at once July and August etc - sorry it's a long way off but if you ever get chance it's a great place for honing the Hobby skills !!