Friday, December 05, 2014

Tawny Owl Predated

Out and about with DF last weekend at our usual spot, we came across the remains of a dead Tawny Owl. It had obviously been predated by a larger more powerful raptor(my guess Accipiter Gentillis)although can't rule out Buzzard, Peregrine or escape Eagle Owl. Not sure but I think falcons leave distintive notches on the sternum. At first we were unsure what species of owl it was, but when Dave opened its eyes we were in no doubt. Word of warning, one should not touch or pick up dead raptors with the bare hands, as some of the poisens used can be deadly.

2 comments:

true birder said...

YOUVE NOT A CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.WHY GOSHAWK KILL?
NATURAL CAUSES AND SCAVENGED IS THE LIKELY CAUSE.YOU ALL DREAM WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE/HAPPEN.

Muxy said...

I probably have the least expertise out of anyone that visits this blog but my money would have to be on the big Accipter. I could just imagine it being taken while roosting in the day. Tawnies seem pretty strictly nocturnal to me so would reduce the chance of Peregrine and I am not sure Buzzards are aggressive enough anyway.
Tawnies seem to be doing well though, At least two calling at work at Holmfield on Thursday tea time and 1 is visting our Mount Tabor garden. Also a pair of Little Owls are guaranteed very nearby.