Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sparrowhawk Kill

First casualty at my garden feeding station this lunchtime. One of the female Blackbirds was taken by a Sparrowhawk. I heard the distress cry of the Blackbird whilst I was working in my office and looking out the window spotted a Sparrowhawk had it pinned down. I was sorely tempted to intervene but left the birds alone to let nature take its course. The hawk took off within a few seconds with the by now dead Blackbird in its talons. It only took 5 minutes or so before the feeders were full of tits again !

Two questions:
The hawk appeared to be very brown across its back and wings, is this likely to be a bird still in juvenile plumage ? It was definitely a Sparrowhawk, but I have never seen one so strikingly brown.

Do all hawks always carry prey just on the one foot ? I have only seen a few Sparrowhawk Kills as they occured and they always carry the prey using only one foot and I just wondered if all hawks carry prey this way.

2 comments:

AndyC said...

The brown plumage is of a female or juvenile the male is a blue grey.I have seen Sprwk using both feet on bigger prey ie pigeon ,dove or game bird.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Andy
I can usually spot a female or male Sparrowhawk by colour and size. What threw me off on this one is that it not have the bulk I would expect of a female and it was a much darker shade of brown than I have seen before (in my very limited experience of Sparrowhawks). Would a juv still be in juv plumage from last year ? My feeling was that the bird was male but the wrong colour !