Thursday, January 03, 2008

Books & Stuff

A couple of things I would like to raise in this post on the blog.

Nick Carter very kindly plugs my webshop, Pennine Books. Whilst this is very nice of Nick I just want to make it plain than my support of the bird conservation group in no way hinges on members of Halifax Birdwatchers buying books from me. I support the efforts because I think its a worthwhile cause to support. Many of you put in a lot of unpaid time and effort on behalf of Calderdale's wildlife, I'm a lazy bugger so I give cash instead :-)) If I mention books I like or recommend its not to try and con some of you into buying them from me. On most occasions you can usually buy them cheaper on Amazon as they can obtain much bigger discounts from publishers than small independents like myself. So if I mention any books on the blog please don't take as "spam" for my shop. its simply that I love books !

Second item I would like to raise is in response to the posts when I asked for recommendations for good bird books. I am not sure if many of you are aware but in recent months Calderdale Libraries are offering a free reservation service for books you might wish to order from the library. Reservations unusually cost around 65p, with extra if they go outside Calderdale for the book. At the moment the service is free and you can use the online search to search their catalogue, link
http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/community/libraries/catalogue/index.html

You need your library card and its number + a unique pin number you can obtain by taking your card into any library. I have ordered and reserved all the books suggested by people and look forward to reading them in the coming weeks.

Finally a book plug for one of the best all round nature/bird books I have ever read, "Crow Country" by Mark Cocker. I bought myself a copy of this after reading Peter Marrens review in British Wildlife. In my opinion its destined to become an all time classic UK nature/bird volume. I won't spoil the book for you by telling you about it but believe me its the best modern nature book I have ever read.

No comments: