Sunday, January 13, 2008

Loose scope problems?

For a long time now I have had problems with my scope working loose on the plate attaching it to the tripod, very annoying when this happens in the field! At last there is a solution, if you have a Manfrotto head they have produced a new plate to attach to the scope which is fixed in place by two screws, so far it has worked brilliantly! They are available from Pennine Optics in Rochdale and are known as the Manfrotto 200USS Universal Anti Twist Spotting Scope Plate.

5 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Nice one Nick - I might try it as I have had the same problems and it's been back to Leica once as it stripped the thread in the scope. Good job it was still under warranty!

Nick Carter said...

The only problem is the price, they are a bit expensive at£40.

Alf King said...

I've always found that some PTFE tape wrapped around the screw-thread works wonders for me.

Nick Carter said...

I tried variations on the PTFE idea but nothing really worked for long, I was also worried about damaging the thread like Dave, mine's a Zeiss scope and I'm not sure if damage of this sort would be covered by the warranty. Having said that at £40 for the plate the PTFE idea is the best starting point though, it obviously works for some.

David Sutcliffe said...

Might try some PTFE tape first - thanks for the tip!