Saturday, June 09, 2007

Nuthatch

I was well pleased this morning to hear a Nuthatch in Shroggs Park around 9 am. It was in the oak trees around the Wheatley end of the park.

This record is significant to me as I remembered one I had many years ago in the park in the same spot - could I remember when!!!!!!

Amazingly I found the notes from my old log book 6th August 1979 which read as follows - Shroggs Park - one Nuthatch 6th Aug 79 heard and seen as I was walking to work in the park at 7.30 am. Also seen by the then Park Superintendent Frank Healey 2 days later. My notes also say this bird in 79 was the third ever record for the Halifax area!

It's pleasing to think that Nuthatch is at least one bird which is a little commoner now around Halifax than it used to be in the 70's.

1 comment:

Hugh Firman said...

Outside Calderdale (Shipley), admittedly but we have had nuthatches in and around an unremarkable woodland for several years. Over weekend (16th/17th June)I watched parent feeding two young in my garden.

Hugh