Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Herons at Cromwell Bottom

Les Midgley and I have been watching a pair of Herons near CB all spring. The pair first nested two years ago with no breeding success, the same also happened last year. We have kept the news about the nest down to a "need to know" basis as we suspected that people viewing the nest daily in the last two years could have contributed to the nest failing. Nick Carter and Andy Cockroft as well as Hugh Firman the conservation officer were informed and given regular bulletins.

I am now able to report that at least two and possible three young are just about full fledged in the nest. Its very difficult to be exact as the nest is completely hidden in the foliage and impossible to view. We had thought that the nest had failed again as we had seen no Herons near the nest for weeks. Around two weeks ago I heard a weird noise coming from the vicinity of the nest and spotted at least one adult heron and what looked like heron beaks thrust up begging for food. On checking on the Internet I found that young Herons remain quiet in the nest and only make the weird noise (by clacking together their beaks) when the parents return with food. I heard the same noise and spotted adult Herons near the nest area on several occasions since. Les spotted at least one adult and possibly 2 or 3 young birds on Sunday morning. When I went down CB this morning I spotted both adults leaving the nest area and saw at least two young Herons that look just about full fledged to my inexperienced eye. Hopefully we now have the start of a new heronry in Calderdale.

Not exactly earth shattering news I know, but its nice to see that a previously scarce species (I never saw Herons at all in the 1960's & 70's when I first started noting down local wildlife) is gaining ground in Calderdale despite the habitat degradation and loss that continues in the area. I don't know what proper birders think ,but I think it would make interesting reading if other posted of their views on local bird population trends or simply a description of a day on their "patch" which does not always need a long list of species seen or rarities to make it interesting to others. Posts need not always be of astounding new discoveries to foster interest, discussion and further observations from others who share those interests.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, proper birder? I reckon all that effort you put in makes you fully fledged! Good report, thanks.

Nick Carter said...

To follow up on your comments Paul one species that really is doing well locally is Stonechat. I have been out looking for twite and although sadly not finding any seem to be tripping over pairs of Stonechats all over the place. I remember the second ever breeding pair in Calderdale causing great excitement amongst local birders (mid 1970s I think,after the first back in the 30s) I wonder what the birders of the day would make of them being all over the place now? On the other hand I bet they'd be seriously shocked by the downturn in species like Twite. I guess some you lose, some you win.