Monday, June 11, 2007

Heron update

I think its now very likely that the Herons nesting near Cromwell Bottom have fledged two young. I spotted an adult Heron in a tree on Tag Loop this morning and two chicks calling and begging for food from it. All three birds took off as I approached along the river bank at around 8am this morning. I suppose the Herons could be from elsewhere but I think its more likely that they are from the nest adjacent to Cromwell Bottom I have been watching all spring.

As an aside to this; are any notable species breeding on the fenced off section at Cromwell Bottom (known as North Bank Loop) ? Travellers have got into the site and are camped on the old landfill site until Calderdale can remove them.

1 comment:

darrell j prest said...

grey partridge,lapwing and skylark were on the fenced off tip in 2002 but not seem them since.