Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sedge Warbler at Cromwell Bottom

One Sedge Warbler seen and heard at Cromwell Bottom this morning at around 9am. The bird is in the reed bed at the end of the open water lagoon on Brookfoot Loop. Follow the canal towpath down to just above Freeman's Bridge and then cut across onto the path between the open lagoon and the lower overgrown one. The bird was displaying and singing in the reedbed nearest to the river Calder. I didn't hang around for long to look for any others as I had the dog with me and didn't want her running through the reedbed scaring any nesting birds.This is my first Sedge Warbler at Cromwell Bottom since 2003 ,when I last saw them in the scrub on the ski club side of the canal towpath just below Crowther Bridge.

2 comments:

Alf King said...

I had two Sedge Warblesr at different points on the canal towpath on Sunday but didn't realise that they were remarkable. One was just short of North Cut in the reeds whilst the other was near Crowther Bridge in the brambles.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Alf
I think they are showing a serious decline nationally ? I do know that the locals who watch at Cromwell Bottom have not seen Sedge warblers for a couple of years now in their usual haunts. The one you mention in the scrub near Crowther Bride is where I would have expected to find them in the past but have not since 2003