Monday, May 28, 2007

Goldfinch question

Sue & I did our favorite bike ride around the upper end of Calderdale today despite the occasional hail storm and heavy rain. We have noticed in recent weeks on this ride the large numbers of Goldfinch in Calderdales uplands. The route takes us from Elland up to Ringstone, onto Booth Wood reservoir, round via Pike End to Baitings Res, then up past the old Blue Ball pub to Huberton, before dropping down through Sowerby to Sowerby Bridge and back onto Elland on the Canal towpath. Goldfinch are probably the most common bird we see near to habitation or farmyards, far more common than Starlings or Sparrows. I did a quick count today on the ride and counted 40+ Goldfinch with a maximum count of 4 in one flock. Now maybe I am noticing these birds more these days simply because I am looking for them, but it seems to be more likely that Goldfinch are increasing in numbers in the uplands. They are such a stunning bird that it seems unlikely I have simply not spotted them before when out walking or cycling.

This leads me to my questions are Goldfinch increasing nationally in some numbers and secondly why do they seem to have appeared in such large numbers in Calderdales uplands in recent times ?

No comments: