Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Carabus nitens



I have asked Matt if its OK to occasionally post requests on the bird blog for various upland insects that local birders might spot and pass on the records to me. The beetle shown is Carabus nitens a notable species, as its thought to be in be under severe threat in Europe but is suspected as being on the increase in Yorkshire. As far as I am aware there are only two Calderdale records of this upland ground beetle by both myself and Sue my wife in 2002 at Langfield Common (near Todmorden) (SD9522) in April and June of that year. As can be seen from the image the beetle if very distinctive and around the size of the Common Violet Ground Beetle. It prefers the dry sandy heath which makes up a lot of Calderdales upland moors. The two occasions I have spotted the beetle by chance have been when its crossing paths I have been walking.

I hope no one takes offence at these non bird postings, but I suspect many of you would welcome the chance to contribute records of Calderdale wildlife you see whilst out birding in the uplands. I will pass any records onto the YNU Coleoptera recorder, who will then pass them onto the Ground Beetle Recording Scheme

2 comments:

Nick Carter said...

No problem as far as I am concerned Paul, I take it you have contacted Mike Denton? he has stacks of beetle info on Calderdale.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
I am in contact with Mike throughout the year as he is my beetle ID source. I am waiting to hear how the YNU ento section got on at CB on Saturday.