Friday, November 04, 2016

Ogden

I went looking again for BS's 'northern' Treecreeper after we had a possible sighting late yesterday afternoon - though the light was poor in the area above the top end eastern bridge.
I did find 3 Treecreeper's this morning in different parts of the woodland but they certainly weren't the 'northern' form 'familiaris'. All three showed only very pale supercilium and buff flanks unlike the photo of BS's bird.
There were no large 'tit' flocks found as most passerines seemed to be scattered about in various parts of the woodland.
2 Crossbills flew over calling - the male showing brilliant crimson and I had another real bonus bird  taking off right in front of me - a Woodcock flushed in the boggy bracken covered woodland.
A Kingfisher called as it was disturbed from the top pond by the east-end bridge and flew down the reservoir.
Other birds included Blue, Great, Coal and Long-tailed Tits, Nuthatch, Bullfinch, and Goldcrests in good supply. 8 Fieldfare moved across the moor and Blackbirds were feeding on Rowan and Holly berries.

A call from NK as I got home as he'd found a pair of Mandarin Duck on the shoreline.

1 comment:

Brian Sumner . said...

Hopefully we,ll get a good winter supply of Crossbills for a change Dave. Woodcocks good, my bogey bird, or should I say another! of my bogey birds.