Friday, June 21, 2013

NWCU update

Dear Steve,

I would like to update you on the Government's action with regards to the National Wildlife Crime Unit's funding.

As you will be aware I signed the EDM as requested and I still wish to continue my support for the unit and the work it does in helping law enforcement agencies stop crimes against animals such as illegal taxidermy, auction sales and general animal protection. It is our duty to protect these vulnerable animals who have no method of protecting themselves.

The funding for this unit has been guaranteed for 2013-2014 but it is still uncertain in the long run.

The Government has rejected requests from MPs to give funding certainty for the critically important unit, and will not be banning possession of the main poison used to kill birds of prey. More than 600 cases of poisoning have been reported in the past decade, of which half involved a pesticide whose approval for use was withdrawn in 2001. These animals deserve our protection and the NWCU provides this protection which is why I believe funding should be continued.

I hope the update has been helpful. If you require any further information on want me to try and help in any other way, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely


Linda Riordan


Member of Parliament for Halifax

No comments: