Friday, April 29, 2011

Raptor id

Brian's image from last week above. Click on image to enlarge. Compare with one below I took at Blacktoft on 15th April.


I dont like to get beat by raptors but every now and then you just have to let them go. However from first seeing Brians picture I believed it to be a Marsh Harrier. Just going through some throw away pics from Blacktoft and I couldnt help thinking how similar this one looked to Brian's. Others have suggested different species and MC says its probably un-identifiable, I may be wrong but I still think its a Marsh Harrier, any other oppinions welcome.



6 comments:

heavy birder said...

Sorry Brians picture wont enlarge but you can copy it and then blow it up.

Matt Bell said...

Has anyone considered honey buzzard for Brian's bird?

AndyC said...

I would say its a marsh harrier,Its a tricky one as others have said but Its stands out as MH to me.

Brian Sumner . said...

HC suggested Honey Buzzard. To me its too narrowed winged for Marsh Harrier with deeper elbows.

AndyC said...

Im no way 100% but its a little early for HB and there was a big move of MH over last weekend .

heavy birder said...

YNU contact says the shape and wings dont look good for HB and that in his oppinion its too early for that species.