Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Wallabies of Whirlaw

A pal of mine did the Calderdale Way last week and informed me he saw two wallabies on Whirlaw above Tod'. I have to say when he sent me a text at the time to tell me I thought nonsense, it was probably a couple of big hares. Well, I have just seen the photo and it is a wallaby. Are these a known Calderdale escaped species? Is everyone as staggered by this as I am? Can anyone tell me more?
I eagerly await some responses on this matter.

Regards, Chris

3 comments:

Steve Blacksmith said...

A skunk was photographed in Meadow Bottom below Whirlaw a few years ago. I know the people whose garden it was in.

Maybe the aliens are playing pranks on us.

But there is a farmer, just the other side of the golf course, who likes his exotic animals. He has deer in his fields, and I have seen wallabies in a pen there.
You might be able to find his number because it's him farmers have to take carcases to if animals die in the field, for disposal.

Jeff Cox said...

I walked that section of the Calderdale Way earlier in the year but didn't see any wallabies, nor have I heard of any escapees.
A search found this link though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelhomer/4484390611/in/pool-todmorden

Steve Cummings said...

The nearest feral population of Red-necked Wallabies that I know of used to be at "The Roaches" in the Peak District NP. I think a series of harsh winters may have killed them off, but don't quote me. Aother feral population was on an island in the middle of a Scottish loch, I seem to remember.