Wednesday, May 05, 2010

5th May Yellow Wagtail



Roils Head PM,

Had nothing much all spring at this site but persistence pays off. Walking across one of the playing fields I heard the now unfamilier call, tsrreee- tsrreee, turning round I found a stuperb Yellow Wagtail. I got the camera out and quickly pressed the button. The image on the back of the camera was completely black. All my settings were wrong, I went into the menu and dropped my shutter speed down to 250 and tried again, still the image was too dark so I went back into the menu and put my ISO up from 100 to 400 to compensate for the bad light. The bird had now moved away but I managed 2 shots before it flew off towards Mount Tabor at 3PM.

This is the first spring record since I had 1 at the same site on 15th May 2007. There were no records at all in 2009, what a shame.
Also at Roils Head 9 Linnets, 3 Willow Warblers and 4 Skylarks.

3 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Thats a great record Nick - and a bonus to get some good shots of it.
I think this is the first spring record locally since the one you found (again at Roils Head horse field)on 15th May 2007. Well done.

Gan Ainm said...

Good stuff Nick. The yellow wagtail is a lovely bird.

David Tattersley said...

Well done Nick, a prominent Huddersfield birder once said to me when I found a drake Smew a couple of years ago 'a reward for persistence', I took it as a back-handed compliment at the time I think!

Just for the record I believe 3 male Yellow Wagtail have been recorded in the Huddersfield Area so far this year (2 males on 20/4 and 1 male on 28/4)