Thursday, November 29, 2007

Shibden valley - Thursday 12:20 to 13:40

Approximately 6 redwing.
4 mistle thrush.
Robins, 3 dunnock, 1 bullfinch, 3 chaffinch.
Usual great and blue tits but didn't notice any long-tailed.
Little owl roosting in a hawthorn bush - distant views.



Blackbirds, wood pigeons, crows and magpies (not counted but approx 10 of each).

Then on the walk back down the lane, I saw what I thought was a pigeon approaching through the trees. It was only when it drew level that I could see it was a woodcock. So I fumbled the camera and missed the shot! A tick for me though.

1 Kestrel.

One thing that is very noticeable is the lack of hawthorn berries. I've a photo from this time last year showing the hedges full of berries. This year there are hardly any. Rowans seem in short supply too and most of the blackbirds/thrushes were on the holly.

No comments: