Tuesday, March 20, 2007

20th March Red Kite seen.

Got Dave Suttcliffes message at 2.30PM and jumped on the first bus. Arrived at my usual watch point at 2.55PM, 30 mins after the bird had drifted over the Luddenden Valley towards Midgley. I could see Dave scrambling up the steep slope of Midgley Moor through my scope, Smegol climing the stairs of Cirth Ungol came to mind. I gave it 45mins but the cold eventually got too much so I drifted home dissapointed. A Sparrowhawk over Ovenden Wood livened things up, then a pair of adult Peregrines flew directly over Moor End Road heading north.
It is worth people keeping a look out at upland sites because last year a Red Kite maybe the same bird was picked up on several occasions.

3 comments:

Matt Bell said...

I checked the skies from here (Erringdon, towards Stoodley Pike etc) but saw nothing. Had a quick look from Colden over towards Old Town this evening on the school run and drew a blank as well.

BSUMNER said...

This could be the same bird that I got from Fly Flatts 11/06/2006 which flew over Midgley Moor and directly over Nick Ds house,you could have had a garden tick there. BS

Nick Carter said...

They're always when I'm at bl**dy work!!